Top 20 Ways To Mess Up A Marriage:
- Have Premarital Sex - This can be with your future spouse or not. Regardless, the statistics show that it means a much higher chance of a failed marriage.
- Cohabitate - This doubles your chance of divorcing your spouse! Go with this one if you almost certainly want to mess up a marriage.
- Use contraception - kids are a burden that make life miserable. Why take the risk? Of course couples that use NFP are happier, have better sex-lives, and stay married more than 95% of the time. And, by the way, not too long ago the World Health Organization categorized the 'pill' as a Class I carcinogen, right up there with cigarettes! Read more about it here.
- Cheat on your spouse - Nothing rings the death knell of marriage like this one.
- Use porn - only the fastest growing reasons couples divorce today. Duh!
- Drink too much or use drugs - This one is a great way to love a thing more than your spouse.
- Marry for the wrong reasons - Marrying someone merely because you have strong emotions about them (which will eventually go away) or because they are good looking (which won't last) is a great way to eventually ruin a marriage. Attraction is all that matters.
- Never Work on Communication - talking is over-rated. You should just learn to tolerate one another, not really communicate.
- Be a Workaholic - being rich and successful is the most important thing on earth. Right?
- Be selfish - expect your spouse to serve your every need and never expect to return the favor.
- Have Different expectations about money or debt - Spend too much, live beyond your means, and then pay the price. Money is the #1 reason that couples argue.
- Don't tithe - The money is your own, do what you want with it.
- Talk negatively about your spouse - who needs to be built up anyway?
- Make big purchases without talking about it first - want that new car? Go get it!
- Spend more time with your friends than your spouse - they are probably more fun anyway.
- Never let love mature - let your love remain all about the emotions and sex (neither are bad in-and-of-themselves) so that love never matures.
- Never go to church or pray together - marriage doesn't need God. Does it?
- Once you have kids focus all your attention on them - you shouldn't still work on the marriage, because the kids are most important.
- Marry a non-Christian - There are certainly marriages that succeed between believers and non-believers, but the least you are doing is putting a strain on a relationship.
- Never grow or change - no need to say you are sorry, no need to humble yourself, no need to make changes. Just stay who you are.
(Adapted from Texas A&M Aggie Catholics Blog Site)
Texas A&M University, based in College Station, Texas, has a very large, active, and well-organized Catholic campus ministry, St. Mary’s Catholic Center at Texas A&M University. In conjunction with the school’s heritage as once an agricultural and mechanical school, its sports teams are called the “Aggies;” hence the blog “Mary’s Aggies.”